Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Kampala, Uganda

Registering a foreign marriage in the Netherlands

Registering a marriage with the municipal personal records database (GBA) is compulsory if you live in the Netherlands. A foreign marriage can be registered in the Netherlands only after the foreign marriage certificate has been legalised.

In addition you are strongly advised to register your foreign marriage certificate with the civil register of the municipality of The Hague (Foreign Documents Department, in Dutch Afdeling Landelijke Taken). This can be done even if you live abroad. For more information, contact the Foreign Documents Department of the municipality of The Hague, telephone: +31 (0)70 353 3000 (between 8.00 and 20.00). In the Netherlands you can reach The Hague Municipal Contact Centre on 14 070. You can also consult the information in Dutch on the website of the municipality of The Hague. On the website you can download a Dutch-language booklet on registering foreign documents in The Hague.